Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Becoming Aware of Your Weaknesses


"What is your greatest weakness?" seems to be a question that arises often during an interview and one that kind of freaks me out a bit. 

I've been doing a lot of personal evaluation over the past couple months. I've been focusing in on what I want in life and which path I want to take to attain it. One thing is for sure, I'm not perfect and I have certain areas in my life that if I take the time to strengthen will make me a stronger more confident individual.

My answer to this make or break question is that my writing ability is my weakness. This may come to the interviewer or yourself as a surprise, but it's true. Yes, I'm in the School of Journalism at UW-Madison but I struggle all the time with grammar and word choices. 

The fact that I know it's my weakness, makes me work that much harder to not show the world my struggle. To enhance my writing ability I've started this blog, designated a notebook for my most frequently misspelled words and new vocabulary, edit my work all the time and write often.

Facing my weakness head on and admitting it has empowered me to make a change. I just came across this quote:"Our strength grows out of our weaknesses." -Ralph Waldo Emerson. I hope one day I can look back upon my life and see that my ability to write was my talent. I love to talk and engage with the world. My spoken words will one day be forgotten, but the ink and type that have and will spring from my hands will last long after I am gone. 

I encourage people to critically evalutate themselves and make a change. It feels good.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment